The primary function of this position is to lead the strategic development and management of the Department’s Colorado Proud program which is aimed at helping consumers and other buyers to identify and purchase food and agricultural products grown, raised, or made in Colorado. Management includes everything from establishing policies and procedures for licensing, revenue development, setting an annual plan of work, communications with members, working with and guiding outside agency support, project implementation, program evaluation, and reporting.
Develops and distributes a monthly Colorado Proud newsletter containing program information, upcoming events, and other content that may be of interest to members. The newsletter is distributed electronically. Coordinates with identified chefs to create monthly recipe ideas promoting Colorado food and agricultural products. The recipes are promoted through a Department media release and posted to social media platforms.
Sets strategic direction and manages plans of work for two full time staff persons. The Administrative Assistant has responsibility for development of various directories, publications, and listings; and supports numerous Colorado Proud administrative functions. The Marketing Specialist has responsibility for identification and outreach to companies to determine business support needs; maintaining business support resources; and the development and implementation of workshops and podcasts. One of the key business support resources is the Colorado Farm to Market webpage developed in consultation with CSU. Establishes performance standards for staff members, as well as trains, mentors, and conducts annual and semi-annual performance evaluations. Ensures staff members have the appropriate training and resources necessary to complete their work. Coaches, motivates, and develops professional development and performance plans for each staff member. Recognizes the successes of team members. Resolves routine personnel issues or problems.
Regularly represents the Division and/or Department with external audiences, providing information about the Division’s programs and Department initiatives. This often involves presentations, participating in panels, etc. Provides assistance to the Department’s Director of Communications in the writing, editing, designing and producing of printed materials. This may include educational materials, surveys, brochures, directories, flyers, publications, and advertisements. Serves as the Department lead, coordinating with CSU to conduct the Public Attitudes about Colorado Agriculture Survey every five years. Also includes determining methods for presentation of key findings. Provides support for the Department of Human Services food pantry assistance grant program. This involves helping DHS with information of Colorado suppliers and responding to various questions and other information requests. The grant program requires that pantries purchase Colorado products to be eligible for reimbursement.
Actively participates and supports Colorado’s agricultural and food industry organizations, working closely with the Colorado Fruit & Vegetable Growers Association, Rocky Mountain Food Safety Conference, CSU Ag Day, and Colorado Chef’s Association among others.
Coordinates across the Division, assisting all staff with media releases and working with the Department’s Director of Communications to publish.
Provides support to the CTO’s Destination Development Committee relating to AgriTourism development and promotion. Involves updating an annual MOU with the CTO and presentation of activity annually to the Department’s Agriculture Commission.
Minimum Qualifications, Substitutions, Conditions of Employment & Appeal Rights
Education and Experience: (Three ways to meet the qualifications for this position)
Requires a bachelor’s degree in agricultural sciences, agricultural marketing, business, economics, or closely related field, and four years full time experience working with internal and external partners or agencies to effectively drive goals, strategic plans and initiatives that prioritize agricultural marketing efforts.
OR eight years full time professional experience working with internal and external partners or agencies to effectively drive goals, strategic plans and initiatives that prioritize agricultural marketing efforts.
OR a combination of education and experience as defined above. A master’s degree in business, marketing, or directly related field may substitute for one of the required years of experience as defined above.
- Experience with marketing programs and/or producer funded research and promotion programs
- Experience in an agriculture or agribusiness setting – enough to ensure a thorough understanding of agricultural customers
- Experience with planning and coordinating activities/events such as trade shows, festivals, fairs, conferences, workshops, and industry meetings
- Experience working with agricultural grants and agricultural contract management.
- Proficiency with technology used to write and create content for website, digital advertising, social media and email marketing/marketing automation as well as traditional advertising methods
- Experience or knowledge of innovative agricultural practices such as agro tourism, specialty crops and specialty markets, value-added processing, product marketing, and other strategies that support profitability and sustainability.
- Past supervisory experience
- Budget development and management experience
- Strategic thinking
- Analytical skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Project Management skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a focus on customer service
- Advanced proficiency using Google and Microsoft Office programs
Please submit the following
- Online application (completed fully) describing how you meet the minimum qualifications.
- OR If you are not able to submit an online application, a paper application is available at this link: PDF State Paper Application (Download PDF reader). Paper applications must be received (either by US mail or email to Ruth.Strauss@state.co.us by the closing date and time of the application period listed on this announcement.
- A copy of your DD214 (if applicable)*A copy of your education transcripts (unofficial copies are acceptable)
- Answers to the supplemental questions – If you need more writing room you may submit it as an attachment to your application.