The National Young Farmers Coalition seeks an experienced base-builder to join us in the role of Colorado Organizer. The Colorado Organizer is remote (based in Colorado), part-time position and will be a central part of our organizing team, reporting to the Field Organizing Director.
The Colorado Organizer is the on-the-ground connection for our Colorado network to the National Young Farmers Coalition. The Organizer will work to expand our reach across the state and support Colorado farmers to engage in federal campaigns, including land access, climate action, water, access to USDA programs, immigration, and student loans. The Organizer will also work closely with Colorado chapters, members, and organizational partners to to develop farmer leadership and advocacy expertise to win policy change for an equitable and sustainable farm future.
* Support chapters to build a brighter farm future and to organize their local community of young farmers.
* Develop grassroots champions for each Young Farmers campaign (land, water, student loans, immigration, USDA accessibility & accountability) and provide support for grassroots action and advocacy within Colorado.
* Create and carry out place-based advocacy strategies such as in-district meetings, fly-ins, and digital advocacy.
* Support our national land fellowship and develop the Southwest cohort of land fellows.
* Build membership within Colorado and identify opportunities to support membership with the resources available at Young Farmers and through our wider network.
Qualifications & Competencies
* 1+ years of relevant professional experience
* Experience working with farmers and/or ranchers
* Ability to engage producers in federal policy campaigns and advocacy opportunities
* Demonstrated commitment to shifting power through changes in public policy
* Highly organized with strong time management skills and ability to prioritize based on organizational mission and goals
* Demonstrated commitment to racial equity, a passion for our mission, and a record of accountability to marginalized communities
* Ability to work in a remote environment with a high degree of autonomy and self-motivation
Additionally, the ideal candidate will:
* Hold lived experience as a farmer
* Speak an additional language to English
* Experience with digital organizing tools
* Experience planning in-district meetings with federal policy makers
* Understanding of farm bill programs and able to communicate complex policy ideas to a Young Farmer audience
* Reside in the State of Colorado
Compensation and Schedule
* Young Farmers’ salaries are determined by annually revised salary guidelines. The salary for this role is $25.96/hour, and is at the Associate level of Young Farmers 2022 Salary Guidelines.
* Young Farmers offers a competitive benefits package, including health and dental insurance, retirement matching, generous paid time off, and paid family leave.
* Part-time schedule, typically 25 hours per week with a flexible schedule. Will require some work during the evening and weekends.
Apply directly on our website https://www.youngfarmers.org/about/jobs/#Colorado-Organizer by February 28th.
Applications without a cover letter will be considered incomplete.