Gleaning & Volunteer-Outreach Coordinator
Roaring Fork Valley
We are seeking to fill the part-time role of Gleaning & Volunteer-Outreach Coordinator who will be responsible for gleaning operations in Colorado’s Roaring Fork Valley (RFV).
Specific responsibilities include:
* Reinstalling food wisdom in the RFV through community outreach, community building and experiential education
* Nurturing existing relationships with local producers (i.e., farmers) and determining on a weekly basis what is available for gleaning and/or pick-up
* Implementing strategic outreach to farms across the RFV through email, phone calls and farm visits in order to expand UpRoot’s impact and producer network for gleans
* Communicating with both businesses and homeowners listed on UpRoot’s Fruit-Tree Registry to coordinate gleans of “backyard” fruit trees
* Organizing gleaning events where volunteers will assemble under the supervision of the coordinator, or volunteer harvest leader, to glean food for distribution to both local hunger-relief and social-service agencies
* Recruiting and training volunteers, as needed, and supervising volunteer gleaning events
* Implementing food safety and Covid-19 best practices when organizing and supervising gleaning events
* Taking photographs of gleaning events, and coordinating with UpRoot team members to create event flyers and social-media posts about past/upcoming events
* Nurturing existing relationships with local hunger-relief and social-service agencies and coordinating pick-ups and/or distribution of gleaned food
* Expanding current gleaning efforts by introducing UpRoot’s work to fruit-tree owners and hunger-relief and social-service agencies with whom we have not yet partnered, including local businesses, houses of worship, foundations, civic-minded groups, schools and universities, and nonprofit organizations
* Meeting grant deliverables and expectations, including data collection
* Ensuring proper evaluation methods and reporting (including data for reports to funders)
* A passion to establish food equity, food justice and food-systems change
* Experience in stakeholder outreach (e.g., to volunteers, farmers, individuals in the community, community groups, elected officials)
* Strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills
* Experience and a comfort with coordinating volunteers and speaking publicly
* The ability to think critically and creatively and, also, to work independently
* Comfortable working outdoors and in a variety of weather conditions
* The ability to comfortably lift 40 lbs.
* A valid driver’s license and reliable, personal transportation (you may be required at times to deliver gleaned food in your own vehicle)
* Organizing, campaign, or outreach experience
* Agricultural or food-systems experience
* An outgoing personality and can-do attitude
* Conversant in Spanish
* An entrepreneurial spirit and a flexible schedule
This role is currently part-time and non-exempt and will begin by mid-summer and extend through the growing season (approximately 16 weeks).
The rate of pay is $18 per hour for up to 20 hours per week. Mileage reimbursement for role-specific duties is set at $0.35 per mile.
Full role description
Please submit your CV and cover note by July 07, 2021 @ 11:59 pm MDT.
Connect with us/Questions? firstname.lastname@example.org