Latino Gleaning & Volunteer Outreach Coordinator: Garfield County
UpRoot Colorado is a nonprofit organization measurably reducing on-farm surplus food in Colorado, supporting the resilience of farmers, and increasing the nutritional security of people in our state. We are seeking to fill the role of a part-time Latino gleaning and volunteer-outreach coordinator who will be responsible for gleaning operations in Garfield County. This person will also be responsible for developing programming that is inclusive of and broadens UpRoot’s relationship with Garfield County’s Latino community, using his/her/their cultural background and understanding to connect with and serve underserved and diverse community members.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Implementing strategic outreach to farms and backyard fruit tree owners across Garfield County through email, phone calls, and visits to expand UpRoot’s impact and producer network for gleans
- Nurturing established relationships with local growers (e.g., farmers and fruit tree owners) and working to determine on a weekly basis what is available for gleaning and/or pick-up
- Organizing gleaning events where volunteers will come to a farm/backyard fruit tree to harvest food for distribution to local hunger-relief and/or social-service agencies
- Implementing food safety and Covid-19 best practices when organizing and supervising volunteer gleaning events
- Fostering existing relationships with local hunger-relief and social-service agencies and coordinating pick-ups and/or distribution of gleaned food
- Recruiting and training volunteers, ensuring volunteers sign a waiver prior to gleaning, and supervising volunteer gleaning events
- Taking photographs of gleaning events, and coordinating with UpRoot team members to create event flyers and social media posts about past/upcoming events
- Expanding current gleaning efforts by introducing UpRoot’s work to local growers and encouraging fruit tree owners to register their trees for gleaning
- Meeting grant deliverables and expectations, including data collection, reporting and evaluation methods
- Developing and implementing strategy to increase engagement with Latino community in Garfield County, including:
- Gathering information from Latino community members and community groups to determine the best structure for a Latino gleaning program
- Developing new relationships with Latino leaders and community groups to promote gleaning opportunities
- Researching similar work around the state and country and learning from best practices
- Translating flyers and other materials from English to Spanish and reviewing translated materials for accuracy
- Member of Garfield County’s Latino community
- Fluently bilingual in English and Spanish
- A passion to establish food equity, food justice and food-systems change
- Experience in outreach to stakeholders (such as volunteers, farmers, customers, community groups, elected officials, etc.)
- Strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills
- A valid driver’s license and reliable, personal transportation, as you will be required at times to deliver gleaned food in your own vehicle
- An outgoing personality and can-do attitude
- The ability to lift 40 lbs.
- The ability to work independently
- Comfort working outdoors
- Organizing, campaign, or outreach experience
- Agricultural or food-systems experience
- Experience and comfort coordinating volunteers and speaking publicly
- An entrepreneurial spirit and a flexible schedule
These are the ideal characteristics, but if you don’t fit every single one, still apply. We are eager to hear from you!
This role is currently part-time (W-2) and non-exempt and will begin by mid-summer and extend through the growing season and potentially beyond (approximately 20 weeks). The rate of pay $18- $20 per hour, commensurate with skills and experience, for up to 25 hours per week. Mileage reimbursement for role-specific duties is set at $0.35 per mile.
this position is : hourly, $15-20/hr
Please click here to sign in and view application details.
If you are not registered, you’ll be prompted to do so. Don’t worry, it’s free!
August 08, 2021