Job Summary: Under general direction of the CSA Management team, this position coordinates all aspects of small-scale sustainable food production. The ½ acre of mixed vegetable crops will supply multiple farm stands and some possible restaurant accounts.
Career Type – Seasonal, Part-time
Education/Experience: College degree from a four year university and 3 years of small-scale farming experience or the equivalent combination of education and experience. Must be able to read and understand instructions, simple diagrams and crop planning logistics. Working knowledge of organic/sustainable farming practices as well marketing/sales of vegetables and other products. Must possess valid Colorado Driver’s License and an acceptable driving record. Must be well organized, self-motivated, creative, detail orientated, flexible, and have strong, proven communication skills. Must be willing to drive a box truck occasionally for deliveries.
Essential Job Duties:
- Responsible for all aspects of growing of assigned areas including, but not limited to irrigation set-up (drip tape and overhead sprinklers, thinning (beets, carrots, etc.), trellising (mainly tomatoes), cultivating (tractor cultivation, wheel hoes, stirrup hoes, linear hoes, hand weeding, thinning), harvesting (all harvesting is done by hand).
- Maintains a strong ethic and strict protocols toward food safety and growing high quality produce
- Collaborative budget planning as a team
- Coordinates closely with the Farm Stand Coordinator to develop the weekly harvest list and post-harvest processing for distribution and sale at Farm Stands
- Keeps regular records of harvests to monitor crop yields and grant reporting
- Responsible for assigned planting including, but not limited to transplanting with water-wheel transplanter, hand transplanting, planting with seeders as well as hand seeding.
- Maintains efficient protocols for the wash area work (washing, bunching, quality-control, packing).
- Occasionally drives the box truck to deliver produce to farm stands, restaurants or other
- Developing a revenue plan for restaurant orders and other revenue generating crops
Other job duties:
- Attends meetings as required.
- Applies Integrated Pest Management techniques when required
- Attends farm stand to monitor quality and sales as required.
- Works with all departments to assure highest quality experience for all Denver Botanic Gardens at Chatfield visitors/participants.
- Provides courteous, accurate responses to inquiries from management, co-workers, volunteers, members and visitors.
- Maintains satisfactory working relationships with managers, co-workers and volunteers.
- Maintains a positive, helpful and solution oriented demeanor when responding to or serving members, visitors or grant partners.
- Performs other duties as requested by management.
To apply click the link: